We often are asked: “What’s the best way to care for my solid surface countertop?” Solid surface is a low maintenance and durable countertop material that is stain resistant and nonporous. Probably one of the reasons you purchased solid surface, right? Cleaning and caring for your solid surface countertop is easy.
Follow these tips to keep your solid surface countertops looking beautiful and new:
- Remove dirt and residue with soapy water or an ammonia-based cleaner. Rinse and wipe dry.
- Prevent hard water marks by wiping surfaces dry after spills or cleaning. Ordinary vinegar removes most dried water spots.
- Remove stubborn stains with a diluted mixture of water and bleach or denatured alcohol on a cotton cloth. Rinse with clear water and wipe dry. Avoid strong acidic products such as toilet or oven cleaners.
- Disinfect by wiping surfaces with mixture of one part water / one part household bleach. Rinse with clear water and wipe dry.
- Clean sinks and lavatories the same way you clean your countertop. Or use Soft Scrub liquid cleanser and a gray Scotch-Brite pad. Rub over the entire sink to blend in the finish.
- Prevent heat damage by using trivets or hot pads under hot objects. Prolonged or extreme heat can cause discoloring. Also, allow cookware to cool before placing in a solid-surface sink.
- Prevent other damage by not exposing your countertop to strong chemicals, such as paint removers, oven cleaners, etc. If contact does occur, rinse immediately and thoroughly with clear water.
- If you spill nail polish on a solid surface countertop, remove it with a non-acetone polish remover. Don’t cut directly on solid surface countertops. Always run your faucet while pouring boiling water down solid surface sinks.
- Remove minor cuts & scratches yourself with abrasive Scotch-Brite pads. Roughest to finest are green, peach, lilac, blue and gray. Start with a green pad. Wet the surface and rub in a small circular motion over the scratch or cut. Rinse pad periodically. When the scratch or cut is removed, wet the surface again and rub with progressively finer pads in larger and larger circles until the renewed area blends in with the surrounding surface. Rinse with clear water and wipe dry. Rinse pads and air dry before storing.
- Or, your retailer can provide professional refinishing. This service will be at your cost.
Remember, a little care goes a long way. It doesn’t take much to get your solid surface really clean!